Bluehost Cult!?

Posted by – February 14, 2008

Beware of the unconscionable church of the Bluehost cult! Bluehost has many aspects which share common characteristics with a wayward holy roller church or a hyped-up Amway sales meeting instead of a reliable and stable web hosting company. Matt Heaton, Prophet of the Bluehost cult, is completely obsessed with the number of converts he obtains rather than providing quality service for his existing loyal members. Heaton throughout his blog repeatedly talks about the number of sign ups per day or total number of domains gained. It is all “Quantity, Quantity, Quantity” and quality is always second place at Bluehost. Hallelujah, brethren it is time for a membership drive.

Come one, come all to to the Bluehost cult. Let us send out an army of evangelists to gain neophytes. Our evangelists all have websites due to already belonging to the brotherhood of the Bluehost cult. The evangelists will place banner ads on their sites to draw in disciples. At Bluehost the evangelists are also referred to as affiliates. For every new convert the Bluehost cult will reward each affiliate with a one time payment of $65 for their proselytizing. Welcome all new cult members. Please come and join us at the Bluehost forum.

The Bluehost forum is similar to a church potluck. It is designed to be a place were cult members can get to know one another, exchange thoughts, and ask for direction. Most of the time all goes well at the Bluehost forum unless you dare speak ill about the Bluehost cult. If one expresses any discontent with the Bluehost cult, he will be banned, yes excommunicated, from the Bluehost forum. Power, mad, altar boy areidmtm is a master at banning members, closing and deleting threads, if one dares to question the almighty authority of the Bluehost cult (a few example threads 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Bluehost would love to influence one into thinking that there are no problems with their hosting service. Nothing could be further from reality. Like all cults, the cult of the Bluehost promotes some level of deception.

Do NOT be lured into the insanity of the Bluehost cult with the wild marketing promises of horrendous disk space and bandwidth allocations. What Bluehost doesn’t tell you is they will choke the life blood out of you with resource quotas. Do NOT believe the unsubstantiated uptime claims by Bluehost and wild unrealistic promises of fantastic technical support. All such tactics are deceptive by design. The church of the Bluehost cult is built on hype and partial truths. Bluehost thrives on, ” Hype, Hype, Hype.” If you are wise you will avoid the Bluehost cult like the plague.

18 Comments on Bluehost Cult!?

1. [...] Read the rest of this great post here [...]

2. michael says:

I find your blog interesting. I was recently banned (and post deleted) from the Bluehost forum for pointing out that Bluehost was not in Provo but in Orem. Needless to say if I had found your blog earlier I would not have signed up for Bluehost and saved myself a lot of grief. Now I will be requesting a refund from Bluehost and will be finding a new hosting company.

Below is the email I received from the Bluehost forum.

From: bluehostforum.com (support@bluehost.com)
    Sent: Sat 2/23/08 7:07 AM
    To: emailaddressremoved@msn.com

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!
    ***************************

Dear michaelsoft,

You have received a new private message at bluehostforum.com from Early Out, entitled “Post deletion”.

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:

This is the message that was sent:
    ***************
    Resurrecting a two-year-old thread (here (http://www.bluehostforum.com/showthread.php?t=1514)), solely to point out that the lead moderator of the forums made a small mistake about which Utah city BH is located in, is not a smart move if you want to stick around here. :rolleyes:
    ***************

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:

All the best,
    bluehostforum.com

3. Dave says:

I don’t recall the specifics of why I was banned from the Bluehostforum. I kept the screen shot. The mod who banned me failed the being smarter than a third grader test! Here is the reason he banned me,”You’re no longer need here. Goodbye.” Feel free to use as you like. I am glad I only have one month left with Bluehost. I have already purchased a Hostgator account and will be moving my sites to them ASAP.

4. Loyd says:

I returned to the Bluehost forum later, and found that my thread and all the replies had been deleted…..Assuming this was a mistake, I reposted. Mentioning the deleted thread and asking if there was a reason, or if it was a mistake. To my surprise, this thread was deleted as well. I’ve opened a 3rd thread on the subject, but I don’t think it will last long either.

Bluehost A review…Maybe they have something to hide.

5. Bob says:

What do you expect for 6.95 per month? Get real!

6. Your mentality in thinking Bluehost is cheap therefore it is acceptable that Bluehost is crap is one of the main reasons for writing this article. It is as if so many Bluehost users are brainwashed into thinking one way. Many other web hosting companies are inexpensive but they provide excellent service.

7. Calanan says:

Thanks for the tip!

8. Webdzynr says:

Im thinking you can’t please all the people all the time. I’ve been with Bluehost/Hostmonster for a few months now and the few times I have to call for support I do get it resolved. The phone support people are very good at what they do, if they dont know they kept me on the phone until they contacted someone who did and they talked to them, not simply passed me on.

I agree that removing threads in a forum is not good but this is not a public forum so they can do as they please. Just like Bill and his Vista. ;)

Whine all you want people, thats your right. Posting this comment is mine.

Thank you.

9. From the Bluehost forum, “Define: Forum Moderator

Whiteknite states:

One concern that I have about the forum moderators is that they may abuse thier authority by responding sarcastically or banning unjustly.

This forum is getting bigger and bigger as time goes on. As a result, finding the answer to a question or problem someone may have previously had is getting more and more time consuming. I have seen questions asked that were previously asked up to a year ago.
    Not everyone has the experience that most moderators have because they are not in the IT field.

In short: If someone has a legitimate complaint or wishes to dispute getting banned as they feel it was undeserved; who could they contact without repercussions from said mod?
    And who keeps the moderators from abusing thier authority?

It is interesting to see that Bluehost is not only famous for being one of the fastest growing web hosting companies but also for having the most unfriendly, rude and power mad forum moderators. Gestapo Bluehost forum moderators Felgall and Redsox9 threw in their parting comments and promptly closed the thread after Whiteknite voiced his opinion.

10. Micheal says:

This is great! I wrote a series of posts exposing some very dirty tactics by Bluehost myself. I was and am trying to find a way to get in touch with the author, but for those interested, you can see what I found: http://www.michealcottingham.com/blog/2008/07/13/follow-the-bouncing-whois-part-i/. It is a 4 part nail-biting experience. ;) I wish I found these posts while I was writing about my discoveries.

11. It’s official. It is now forbidden to discuss “downtime” in the draconian Bluehost forum. “Complaining about downtime in these forums will not accomplish anything, and such threads will be closed and/or deleted.” And you probably risk being banned permanently from the forum for merely voicing your opinion. The moderator adds,”…Bluehost does not provide any server uptime guarantee.” But for those of us that have been through down time hell with Bluehost, this is no new news to us.

12. Andy says:

In the “About” page of Matt’s site he says he was once a “missionary”. CP, you might be closer to the truth than you think! :-)

13. Incognito says:

I am an employee of Bluehost and choose not to reveal my identity.

Anywho, the reason I am here is a new forum moderator, Evil_Dictator, is a Technical Manager at Bluehost. It looks like the management of Bluehost is now trying to control the Bluehost forum.

Maybe I will be back to tell more of what goes on behind the doors of Bluehost in the future.

14. Tedyadamusa says:

Hi guys,

I know this might be a bit off topic but seeing that a bunch of you own websites, where would the best place be to host. Someone recommended I use Blue Host for $6.95 a month which seems like a great deal. Anyone here on inetintegrity.com using them?

(Edit: Affiliate link removed by CrazyPenguin.)

15. Crazy Penguin says:

You would have a better chance of this happening

Hell Freezes Over

before the owner of iNetIntegrity.com would even consider using Bluehost again.

16. Former Employee says:

I use to work for this company, they were located in Orem but are now in Provo.  I do not want to come off sounding like a Utah or Mormon basher, but the location and religion plays a big part in the hype and bad service.  They will hack into their own customers account if it’s a religious website that is not LDS. They will deactivate your site if you have music that they do not approve of.  The problem with this company is that they spend way too much time telling each other how smart they are instead of providing  good service, or stealing their clients contents off of the servers.

17. Android says:

The Bluehost forum is a joke.  If you bring up anything which maybe construed as remotely less than positive about Bluehost, the moderators always shout,

“This is a user to user forum – not Bluehost Support. You will have to contact them directly for information on your account.”

The Bluehost forum sucks!  The moderators are way to overbearing.  There is no freedom to discuss any real problems about any issues on the forum.

Bluehost service sucks!  No matter what the problem is. It is never their fault.

Bluehost servers suck!  My server goes down all the time leaving my web site dead.

The throttling at Bluehost sucks!  It will bring your site to a crawl with the least amount of traffic.  The throttling at Bluehost is good for Bluehost but not for the client.

The email at Bluehost sucks!  I have been informed on several occasions where an email was sent, but I never received it.

Bluehost just plain sucks!  If I would of only found this place a year ago, it would have saved me a lot of grief and aggravation.